Friday, February 27, 2009

Orchid Show





I love flower shows so when I read about the Grand Prix Orchid show at the Tokyo Dome in the paper there was no doubt that I would make a visit. I also thought that Caroline would enjoy the experience; however, I have learned that advertising and experience can be quite different and the crowds can dull the thrill. Thus, I decided that two trips were in order. I went first to explore and see everything that I wanted and to take photos. Then I returned on a school holiday with kids in tow. This cost more as I had to pay for two entrances, but was a very smart move.

The Tokyo Dome is a baseball stadium; indeed the maps for the orchid show mentioned items as being near home plate or second base. However, I must say that the orchids were a wonderful addition to the venue. As I entered the dome along with many others, the entire area had the delightful aroma of a greenhouse. It was very welcoming. Walking down the stadium stairs I had a wonderful view of the entire arena – it was filled with flowers and people.

The entrance to the show was lined with trees made from attaching orchids in pots to white painted trunks with other orchids underneath to form a ring around the base. Each side was identical. This path lead to a pedestal holding the grand prize winners up high so that everyone could see them and take photos without having to wait for those in front to move. Fanning out from this were the various types of competitions with large displays taking up some of the other room.

There were many prizes and areas of competition, which included individual orchid growing, orchid arrangements, bridal arrangements, orchid displays, fragrance, and crafts. One section had table decorations done by different embassies. There was also an area devoted to lectures and demonstrations and about a quarter of the floor space was lined with stands selling orchid plants, cut flowers, vases, fertilizer, etc.

I have never seen anything so elaborate as the incredible orchid displays. There was a display of a peacock with the tail sculpted out of orchids, a wedding scene with the bride’s dress made from orchids, as well as many other artistic endeavors.

The orchids in the fragrance competition were at a height so you could smell each one and they were much more powerful than orchids that I had previously smelled.

There was almost too much to take in and I was glad to have two opportunities to enjoy the show. The crowds were not as bad as I expected, or perhaps I have become used to close contact with strangers. As I was leaving the show I ran into a Japanese friend who was impressed that I had attended and she complained about the crowds. Of course I must admit that since I am taller than the average Japanese I can see over folks to look at the displays. This does improve things quite a bit.

Caroline did enjoy the show and agreed that it was worth the effort to move through the crowds. Alex thought the best part was sitting in the outfield playing an electronic game (He had an option of going to the baseball museum instead but he preferred to save that for a trip with Jonathan.)

So what did I learn from this experience? First, there are many more types and colors of orchids than I ever imagined. Second, in Japan the most common orchids are grown so that the blooms cascade down in a very orderly manner. Nature is not allowed to take its own course. The more exotic ones seem to be under different orders. The less common ones are grown in a more realistic way although they may be just as artificially trained – or so it seems. Third, events during the middle of the week will be attended by more people then you might predict.

No comments: